[OpenAFS] Re: module compilation problem against kernel 3.6.12 in release 1.6.5.2

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Wed, 15 Jan 2014 10:10:28 -0600

On Wed, 15 Jan 2014 02:11:16 -0800
Wojciech Tadeusz Fedorko <wojtek.fedorko@gmail.com> wrote:

> sudo /etc/init.d/openafs-client start
> Starting AFS services:
> AFS module /lib/modules/3.12.6-031206-generic/fs/openafs.ko does not exist.
> Not starting AFS.  Please consider building kernel modules using
> instructions in /usr/share/doc/openafs-client/README.modules
>
> - but the file mentioned does not exist...
>
> Do I need any additional sources to build the kernel module?

We probably build the module, but it just didn't get installed to that
location. I don't think we install the kernel module to /lib/modules/...
on 'make install'. If you ran configure without any arguments, I think
it would go in /usr/local/lib/openafs/. You could copy that .ko to the
appropriate place, but...

Are you on Debian or Ubuntu or similar? You should be running
this through the packaging, via module-assistant or dkms or something.
If you have the openafs-client and related packages installed, and also
manually install via 'configure ; make ; make install', that's going to
make things rather confusing.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net