[OpenAFS] mkdir() performance on AFS client

Simon Wilkinson simonxwilkinson@gmail.com
Thu, 23 Jan 2014 11:43:50 +0000

On 23 Jan 2014, at 11:37, <milek@task.gda.pl> <milek@task.gda.pl> wrote:
> Recently I came across an issue where 'make install' which was =
installing
> software to AFS was taking *much* more time on a Solaris client than =
on
> Linux client. The issue turned out to be a lack of optimization on VFS =
layer
> in Solaris, and VOP_MKDIR in AFS isn't optimized for it either (on =
Linux it
> doesn't have to be). This can be mitigated though by changing default
> setting for AFS file server.

The real question here is how widely we should be applying the abort =
threshold - should it apply to all aborts sent to a particular client, =
or should we be more selective? There are a lot of competing views here, =
as it depends on what you believe the abort threshold is actually =
protecting us against.

Cheers,

Simon