[OpenAFS] Re: mkdir() performance on AFS client

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Thu, 23 Jan 2014 10:53:37 -0600

On Thu, 23 Jan 2014 11:43:50 +0000
Simon Wilkinson <simonxwilkinson@gmail.com> wrote:

> The real question here is how widely we should be applying the abort
> threshold - should it apply to all aborts sent to a particular client,
> or should we be more selective? There are a lot of competing views
> here, as it depends on what you believe the abort threshold is
> actually protecting us against.

Well, the issue also goes away if we do either of two other things that
are advantageous for other reasons:

 - Don't issue RPCs we know will fail (mkdir EEXIST, rmdir ENOTEMPTY,
   maybe others). Even without the abort threshold, this causes an
   unnecessary delay waiting for the fileserver to respond. This is
   really noticeable with git in AFS.

 - Don't raise aborts for every single kind of error (like
   InlineBulkStatus). Aborts aren't secure, for one thing.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net