[OpenAFS] Re: Can't start afsd

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Sat, 5 Jul 2014 01:09:59 -0500

On Sat, 05 Jul 2014 05:53:24 +0200
Jean-Marc Choulet <jm130794@gmail.com> wrote:

> + [ -z AUTOMATIC ]
> + [ AUTOMATIC = AUTOMATIC ]
> + AFSD_OPTIONS=true
> + is_on false
> + [ xfalse = xtrue ]
> + return 1
> + is_on false
> + [ xfalse = xtrue ]
> + return 1
> + is_on true
> + [ xtrue = xtrue ]
> + return 0
> + AFSD_OPTIONS=true -fakestat
> + echo  afsd.
>   afsd.
> + start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --exec /sbin/afsd -- true -fakestat
> afsd: ASSERT: cacheFiles 1000  diskblocks -26

You appear to have specified VERBOSE=true in afs.conf. As mentioned in a
comment in that file, you're supposed to say VERBOSE=-verbose to turn on
verbose messages (not VERBOSE=true). That is, at least in the Debian
packaging that I'm looking at; I'm assuming you're using something
Debian-based, but even if not, whatever you're using probably works
similarly.

The error you're getting is because the init script runs 'afsd true
-fakestat', which isn't valid. Because the argument parsing in afsd is
kind of dumb, the string 'true' gets interpreted as a value for
'-blocks', which is run through atoi() and so gets interpreted as -1 (I
think). So you accidentally told afsd to run with -1 KiB of cache space,
which breaks some of the sanity-checks.

That particular error is complaining that the number of cache files that
we're supposed to use is greater than makes sense for the amount of disk
cache we're supposed to use. Of course, none of that is clear.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net