[OpenAFS] Recent Fedora kmod issues

Ken Dreyer ktdreyer@ktdreyer.com
Thu, 5 Jun 2014 17:30:12 -0600

On Sun, May 4, 2014 at 11:23 AM, Jon Stanley <jonstanley@gmail.com> wrote:
> A simple change to have those lines reference /usr/sbin/depmod worked.
> I think that the logic probably needs to be conditionalized such that
> on RHEL6 and below, we use /sbin/depmod, and Fedora >=17 and RHEL >=7
> we use /usr/sbin/depmod.

Stephan's solution in Gerrit is to implement the conditonal as you
proposed. This is the least invasive approach and the one that is
likely to make it into OpenAFS 1.6.

In an ideal world OpenAFS could stop bundling a custom
openafs-kmodtool and rely on one provided by the distro. Red Hat does
continue to ship /usr/lib/rpm/redhat/kmodtool as a part of RHEL and
Fedora.

Unfortunately the kmodtool script in Fedora has fallen into disrepair
and is even older than the one that currently ships on RHEL 5.10.
Fedora's kmodtool is currently missing features that we simply must
have for OpenAFS (UsrMove being one).

RPM Fusion has been shipping their own kmodtool fork which they
patched for UsrMove long ago, and I suspect that when ELRepo starts
shipping kmods for RHEL 7 they're going to implement the same change
as well. So as you can see there's a lot of duplicated effort going on
here. I suspect that the lack of updates in Fedora may have been a
contributing factor for the proliferance of kmodtool forks.

I'm trying to sort this out with the Fedora guys here:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/1094384 . Please feel free to add yourself
to the CC on that bug if you're interested.

- Ken