[OpenAFS] Re: fs listquota with > 2TB /vicepx

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Tue, 10 Jun 2014 14:40:27 -0500

On Tue, 10 Jun 2014 13:02:51 -0400 (EDT)
stephen@physics.unc.edu wrote:

> I'm running DA binaries version 1.6.7-1 (ubuntu package) with 4TB
> partitions and the %used of the partitions are always 0. I've tried fs
> binaries from 1.6.1-2+ubuntu2.2 and 1.6.7-1. If this isn't a known
> problem, I can provide additional information.

The fileserver reports partition space usage in terms of how much space
is free (not by how much space is used), which makes this a little
counterintuitive. If you have 4TB, I think you'll see 0% used until you
have less than 2TB free.

For example, say you have a 4TB partition, and you're using 1TB (3TB
free). Since values over 2TB are clamped, you might expect this to be
reported as 1TB used (not clamped), 2TB total (clamped), for a usage of
50%. But that's not what happens.

Instead, since the server responds with the 'free' value, not the 'used'
value, the server will respond with 2TB free (clamped), 2TB total
(clamped), so the usage is calculated as 0%.

Individual volumes, on the other hand, are reported as 'space used'
instead of 'space free'. But you can't have a finite volume quota over
2TB anyway, so this issue doesn't apply there.

This is indeed a bit confusing, and should probably be clarified in the
documentation. Maybe I'll go do that now.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net