[OpenAFS] Re: additional OpenAFS 1.6.9 binaries available

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Wed, 18 Jun 2014 18:57:30 -0500

On Wed, 18 Jun 2014 14:07:06 -0400
Jonathan Billings <jsbillin@umich.edu> wrote:

> Do we want to continue development of the RPM spec file in the OpenAFS
> git tree?  Split off a RHEL7/Fedora version?

Jeffrey and Stephan have answered this in a couple of different ways,
since think there are a few different ways to interpret this question.
My opinions:

If you're asking "will we continue to develop and support the existing
openafs.org RPM packaging for RHEL6 and earlier?" then I think the
answer is "yes". This wasn't really brought up in the release-team
discussion; I just assumed we would definitely be doing this.

If you're asking "will we continue to develop RPM packaging for RHEL7+
in the OpenAFS git tree?" then the answer (so far) is "no". The idea is
that the development and coordination of the red hat RPM packaging is
done entirely by "rpmfusion" or some other place, and openafs.org is not
officially involved with it. While maybe a copy of the packaging could
exist in the openafs git tree in some fashion, it would not be the
canonical source of the packaging files, and not the place where
packagers collaborate with each other on it. The Debian packaging is
like this, and I don't think there's been any harm in it existing like
that, but I'm also not really sure if it's been helpful.

Also, I want to note that while in my mind "openafs.org" is not involved
in the packaging in this approach... I mean, at least some of the same
people are still going to be involved in one way or another. It just
means that the packaging "lives" somewhere else, and the packaging is
not tied to openafs release cycles. So, changing the packaging or adding
an RHEL-specific patch or something doesn't involve a new version of
"openafs".

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net