[OpenAFS] Re: OpenAFS client crashes on RHEL 5.10 and RHEL 6.5

Rich Sudlow rich@nd.edu
Mon, 17 Mar 2014 13:42:13 -0400

On 03/17/2014 12:15 PM, Andrew Deason wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Mar 2014 10:03:14 -0600
> Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net> wrote:
>
>> It has been discovered that the OpenAFS client interacts poorly with a
>> change to the Linux kernel introduced in Red Hat Enterprise Linux
>> versions 5.10 and 6.5, which can cause a kernel panic with certain AFS
>> access patterns. Sites may want to exercise caution when considering
>> upgrading RHEL systems that are running OpenAFS clients.
>
> Red Hat has indicated they will be providing an update to RHEL 6.5 to
> fix this issue, and it will be fixed in 6.6 (I can no longer reproduce
> our issue with their fix in place). Thanks to everyone that sent in bug
> reports.
>
> However, they have not given any specifics for anything in RHEL 5
> (though they probably will do something about RHEL 5, but maybe not as
> urgently). If you care about this wrt RHEL 5, you need to send in a bug
> report specifically mentioning RHEL 5.
>
> I'll collect some more specifics and send them to -announce when I'm
> sure I'm allowed to send them; I just wanted to get this little bit of
> information out. This also means that I consider the "redoing how we
> represent mountpoints" work to be less urgent now (though it may still
> be required in the future). I'm going to send some stuff to gerrit
> shortly, but actually fixing all of the issues with it is a bit less
> urgent.

Thanks Andrew

I checked the case I opened previously (01051867) it was for 6.5
although I did ask for Red Hat 5 & 6 supported.

Just opened another case specifically for RHELS 5.10 - case # 01055427

Rich

--
Rich Sudlow
University of Notre Dame