[OpenAFS] Re: OpenAFS client crashes on RHEL 5.10 and RHEL 6.5

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Mon, 17 Mar 2014 11:15:59 -0500

On Fri, 7 Mar 2014 10:03:14 -0600
Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net> wrote:

> It has been discovered that the OpenAFS client interacts poorly with a
> change to the Linux kernel introduced in Red Hat Enterprise Linux
> versions 5.10 and 6.5, which can cause a kernel panic with certain AFS
> access patterns. Sites may want to exercise caution when considering
> upgrading RHEL systems that are running OpenAFS clients.

Red Hat has indicated they will be providing an update to RHEL 6.5 to
fix this issue, and it will be fixed in 6.6 (I can no longer reproduce
our issue with their fix in place). Thanks to everyone that sent in bug
reports.

However, they have not given any specifics for anything in RHEL 5
(though they probably will do something about RHEL 5, but maybe not as
urgently). If you care about this wrt RHEL 5, you need to send in a bug
report specifically mentioning RHEL 5.

I'll collect some more specifics and send them to -announce when I'm
sure I'm allowed to send them; I just wanted to get this little bit of
information out. This also means that I consider the "redoing how we
represent mountpoints" work to be less urgent now (though it may still
be required in the future). I'm going to send some stuff to gerrit
shortly, but actually fixing all of the issues with it is a bit less
urgent.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net