[OpenAFS] zero length core files with OpenAFS 1.6.5

Thomas M. Payerle payerle@umd.edu
Mon, 5 May 2014 18:44:47 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 5 May 2014, Renata Maria Dart wrote:

This sounds like it might be a volume quota issue.  0 byte files are
commonly caused by such on AFS; when writing a new file, a client will
typically create a 0 byte file by that name first, which gets flushed
to the fileservers, and then start writing the file to the local AFS
cache.  If the resulting file would cause the volume quota to be
exceeded, it does NOT get written back to the server, but the initial
0 byte file would remain.
(I am sure others on the list can explain this in a more technically
precise manner, but I think the above gets the gist of it.)

AFS will have the error code returned on the close system call, but
many applications fail to check that.  For core file generation, I am not sure
that there is much it could do to report the error anyway.