[OpenAFS] zero length core files with OpenAFS 1.6.5

Renata Maria Dart renata@slac.stanford.edu
Mon, 5 May 2014 15:31:07 -0700 (PDT)

Hi, we had a user report that he was only getting 0-length core files
from his segfaulting executable when writing the core into AFS from a
rhel6 64-bit linux system.  We have confirmed that under OpenAFS 1.6.5
this appears to be so.  The executable can write a normal core file on
that same linux system if writing to nfs or /tmp.  Is this a known
issue that might be fixed in a later version of OpenAFS?

A bit more information...we had a rhel6 64-bit linux system running
OpenAFS 1.6.1 and a back-level linux kernel 2.6.32-358.23.2 that could
successfully write a core file into AFS.  We upgraded the version of
OpenAFS to 1.6.5 leaving the kernel at the same older level and now
only get 0-length core files when writing to AFS.  The same failure
occurs with OpenAFS 1.6.5 and newer linux kernels like
2.6.32-431.11.2.  Core files written to OpenAFS 1.6.2 are also fine.

Thanks,

Renata