[OpenAFS] rx failed to send packet

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk@MIT.EDU
Tue, 27 May 2014 12:55:07 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 27 May 2014, Stephen Joyce wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a server which runs several scripts with AFS tokens. These scripts
> often manipulate PTS users and groups and less-often perform volume
> operations.
>
> For the past ~week, I occasionally see in the output the following message.
>
> "rx failed to send packet: rx_sendmsg: Operation not permitted"
>
> I've checked and the operations that are being performed at the time the
> message is seen appear to have been carried out successfully.
>
> The only google hit I find for this exact message is in the following
> presentation, and I don't think there's enough info in the slide to determine
> underlying cause.
> <https://agenda.infn.it/materialDisplay.py?contribId=10&materialId=slides&confId=5625>
>
> Before I go diving deep into my scripts and activate all of the debugging,
> can anyone point me towards a possible cause and/or solution to that message?

The error message basically just means that the sendmsg() system call
failed (and that you're using an LWP binary, as the pthread binary uses a
slightly different error message in this case).
Since rx data packets are acked, the rx stack should normally resend the
packet for which sendmsg(), since no ack will be received for a packet
that was not sent.

Unless a large string of these errors occur in close succession, I would
not say that there is a problem at all, and you should not bother
debugging (as there is not really a practical problem).

-Ben Kaduk