[OpenAFS] Re: rx failed to send packet

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Tue, 27 May 2014 12:47:57 -0500

On Tue, 27 May 2014 11:04:21 -0400 (EDT)
Stephen Joyce <stephen@physics.unc.edu> wrote:

> Before I go diving deep into my scripts and activate all of the
> debugging, can anyone point me towards a possible cause and/or
> solution to that message?

You're (likely) hitting a firewall rule that's preventing rx packets
from getting sent. That's an EPERM error on a sendmsg() call, which can
be caused by an iptables DROP rule triggering. Maybe there are other
ways that can happen, too (it seems like selinux could, though I don't
remember any time I've seen that happen), but certainly it can happen
via iptables. The slide in that infn.it presentation suggests that's
what they were talking about for that slide, too.

As Ben says, it's not really a big problem, since Rx can deal with
dropped packets and all. But it is maybe causing some operations to take
longer, and you might want to look at why it's getting triggered. It's
possible you maybe have 1 dbserver firewalled off, but the rest are
accessible so the operation can finish, or something like that?

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net