[OpenAFS] Re: RPC service unavailable, windows client, udebug works

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Wed, 5 Nov 2014 16:42:30 -0600

On Tue, 04 Nov 2014 16:05:24 +0100
Christian <chanlists@googlemail.com> wrote:

> on some of our windows clients (win7 enterprise x64, openafs 1.7.31), we
> are seeing issues where if I try to access a volume on a given server,
> it gives me "RPC service unavailable". This only happens for one of our
> two file and db servers, which are both almost identical (the first one
> has in fact been cloned from the second one).

A new sub-thread for this because this _probably_ isn't a problem, but
just to make sure...

When you say you cloned one of the servers from the other, I assume you
didn't, say, copy all of the files (or disk image, etc) after installing
a running fileserver? Specifically what I'm getting at is that the
directory /var/lib/openafs/local (/usr/afs/local for transarc paths) is
intended to _not_ be identical across machines; it contains (among other
things) a file containing the identity of the fileserver. If the
contents of that were duplicated across machines, it would cause very
strange behavior indeed.

I assume you didn't do that, and I can't think of how that could be
causing a problem such as yours, but I just wanted to be explicit about
that.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net