[OpenAFS] Re: (minor) VLDB corruption - how to clean up/repair?

Jan Iven jan.iven@cern.ch
Fri, 7 Nov 2014 18:40:13 +0100

On 11/07/2014 05:13 PM, Andrew Deason wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Nov 2014 16:40:51 +0100
> Jan Iven <jan.iven@cern.ch> wrote:
>
>> Are there any other "just do it"-level commands or flags that might
>> allow me to get unstuck via command line tools, or is this potentially
>> "hexedit time" (in which case I might be inclined to let sleeping dogs
>> rest a while)?
>
> There is 'vldb_check -fix', which retries to rebuild the hash chains etc
> to give you a more useful db. But make copies of the db and verify the
> changes it made afterwards; it's not a well-exercised code path. You
> also may want to grab the vldb_check from 1.6.10; iirc there have been
> some fixes for it in the last few versions.

Many thanks. Indeed "-fix" does several changes, but also to other
volumes/accounts (so will have to check whether these were
accessible/reported as corrupted before or not, and dump+compare the
VLDB entries just in case..).

1.6.10-2 does not fix things "differently" in our case (same md5sum on
the resulting DB file)

Regards,
jan