[OpenAFS] Re: VLDB corruption

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Sat, 8 Nov 2014 10:05:49 -0600

On Sat, 08 Nov 2014 10:58:21 +0200
Kostas Liakakis <kostas@physics.auth.gr> wrote:

> Reading about the recent thread for VLDB corruption I decided to take a
> look at ours, again. vldb_check gives me about 3000 entries likes this:
>
> address 1477640 (offset 0x168c48): Free vlentry not on free chain
>
> which -fix doesn't seem able to fix.

That particular warning doesn't seem like it would cause problems; just
taht we're using up extra unused space in the db. Would you be willing
to share your (partially-corrupt) vldb blob? That way we could try to
make vldb_check handle that issue.

> I see a -dumpvldb option on vldb_convert, but that utility seems to
> depend on 'cnvldb' which is nowhere to be found in the default binary
> installation.

These tools are for converting between vldb formats, when the vldb
database format changed a long time ago. I'm not sure if they could be
used for purposes like in this thread, but at least that's not what they
were intended for.

It does seem like maybe a better way to fix corruption errors would be
to dump the vldb to a text format, and be able to restore that back to a
db blob. But, that's not what we have now.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net