[OpenAFS] any experiences with OpenAFS client on the upcoming MacOS 10.10 (yosemite) release?

Mattias Pantzare pantzer@ludd.ltu.se
Mon, 20 Oct 2014 21:14:06 +0200

--089e0158b38cba76ac0505df8461

I have tried to compile 1.6.10 on OS X 10.10.

The first problem is that it will not compile with xcode 5 or 6. I have not
checked if there is a way to change the compiler to gcc on xcode 6, so it
might be possible (the command gcc starts c-lang).

I compiled it on an MacOS 10.9 system that had an older Xcode. That binary
works if I remove the OS version checks in the install script and disable
signature checks with sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1". kext-dev-mode
is of course not recommended for normal usage.

10.10 requires all kernel extensions to be signed. They ship a list of
hashes for old kernel extensions, that is why some versions of openafs will
work on an upgraded system. But new openafs versions have to be signed.

I have not been able to sign my kernel extension as I just discovered that
I have to apply for rights to sign kernel extensions. A normal developer
certificate is not enough. I don't know how long that process will take.

The conclusion is that there is probably a bit of code cleaning that has to
be done in the long term. To just get things to work someone have to get
the releases signed.

On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 3:41 PM, Jan Iven <jan.iven@cern.ch> wrote:

> Our Mac support was wondering whether MacOS 10.10 will run OpenAFS.
> Perhaps somebody has some experiences to share (apparently 10.9 needed a
> new openafs-1.6.6 release before becoming installable)?
> Of course, in the end we will need to do our own tests, but if the answer
> is "don't bother, needs a new release again" this might wait..
>
> Google says other people might be interested as well, these look like
> status pages being built (but without openafs info so far):
>
> * http://kb.mit.edu/confluence/display/istcontrib/OS+X+
> Yosemite++%2810.10%29+BETA+Known+Issues
> * http://oithelp.nd.edu/applications-and-operating-systems/mac-os-x/
>
> Thanks in advance
> jan

--089e0158b38cba76ac0505df8461

v><div>The first problem is that it will not compile with xcode 5 or 6. I h=
ave not checked if there is a way to change the compiler to gcc on xcode 6,=
iv><div>I compiled it on an MacOS 10.9 system that had an older Xcode. That=
 binary works if I remove the OS version checks in the install script and d=
isable signature checks with sudo nvram boot-args=3D&quot;kext-dev-mode=3D1=
&quot;. kext-dev-mode is of course not recommended for normal usage.</div><=
ship a list of hashes for old kernel extensions, that is why some versions =
of openafs will work on an upgraded system. But new openafs versions have t=
l extension as I just discovered that I have to apply for rights to sign ke=
rnel extensions. A normal developer certificate is not enough. I don&#39;t =
iv>The conclusion is that there is probably a bit of code cleaning that has=
 to be done in the long term. To just get things to work someone have to ge=
ra"><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 3:41 PM, Jan Iven=
e" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left-width:1px;border-left-colo=
r:rgb(204,204,204);border-left-style:solid;padding-left:1ex">Our Mac suppor=
t was wondering whether MacOS 10.10 will run OpenAFS. Perhaps somebody has =
some experiences to share (apparently 10.9 needed a new openafs-1.6.6 relea=
se before becoming installable)?<br>
Of course, in the end we will need to do our own tests, but if the answer i=
s &quot;don&#39;t bother, needs a new release again&quot; this might wait..=
Google says other people might be interested as well, these look like statu=
s pages being built (but without openafs info so far):<br>
* <a href=3D"http://kb.mit.edu/confluence/display/istcontrib/OS+X+Yosemite+=
+%2810.10%29+BETA+Known+Issues" target=3D"_blank">http://kb.mit.edu/conflue=
>Known+Issues</a><br>
* <a href=3D"http://oithelp.nd.edu/applications-and-operating-systems/mac-o=