[OpenAFS] any experiences with OpenAFS client on the upcoming MacOS 10.10 (yosemite) release?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster@gmail.com
Tue, 21 Oct 2014 17:11:43 +0000

On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 4:23 PM, Stephen Joyce <stephen@email.unc.edu> wrote:
> Jeffrey,
>
> I'd like to learn more about this. However since you sell a proprietary fork
> of OpenAFS, it's difficult to discount your possible incentive to spread FUD
> regarding OpenAFS.
>
> Therefore can you provide URIs with specific information to educate me (and
> possibly others) regarding these contractual obligations related to binary
> signing?

Last I knew, the the Apple agreements were behind
a paywall (yes, you have to pay to get to see what
you are being asked to agree to, and to make a
request to be able to add kext signing to your dev
certificate), but it is not really relevant.

Interpretation of contractual obligations is something
your lawyer needs to advise you on.  Much as I would
agree with Jeff, he is not your lawyer or mine, and
nothing he says should be considered definitive to
your specific situation or environment(*).  As a member
of a major university, I am confident you have excellent
legal counsel available to you who may also be aware
of any other contracts with Apple or Microsoft that might
impact that evaluation (for all I know, unc has the right
to sign kexts written by their students in a an
introductory CS class for use in-house).

Gary

(*) I do trust Jeff has had his lawyer make the
evaluation(s) for his specific situation.  Because
that is what he does, and because he can end up
being out of business or sued for a bazillion dollars
if he gets it "wrong", or just because someone
decides they want to sue someone because they
can.  And, yes, he or his lawyers could be more
risk adverse than some.  So that is why you
need your lawyers to do the evaluation for you.