[OpenAFS] Re: Little help with installing OpenAFS on FUSE with Linux system

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Thu, 23 Oct 2014 20:23:24 -0500

On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 22:16:01 -0600
Parth Shah <shah.jparth@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am doing my masters at University of Colorado Denver in Computer
> Science.  I have taken Operating Systems class this semester, in which
> I have a term project. As a part of the project I am planning to
> implement user level file system in Linux system. For that I have
> installed FUSE system on my Ubuntu system.
> Now I am trying to install OpenAFS on FUSE.
> I am following the below steps for installation.
>
> Link: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-fuse/

Just so you know, you don't need openafs to use FUSE. That page just has
instructions for building openafs because it uses some libraries in
openafs for some bizarre reason (specifically, RxRPC). I would not
recommend using Rx unless you have some specific need for it; I'm not
sure how easy it is to link with non-openafs projects with a modern
openafs, and the Rx protocol itself has some issues.

I should also point out that if you are trying to access AFS itself via
FUSE, openafs has a FUSE implementation of the client, but it works in a
completely different way than what that article describes. This is
implemented in src/afsd/afsd_fuse.c, and in src/afs/UKERNEL and a wide
variety of other places in the source tree.

Of course, I don't mean to discourage you from doing this as an
educational project, if you want to follow that article.

> Here, it says that when I configure the file system , it will create dest
> directory from where I need to copy some header files.
> But somehow there isn't any dest directory in current folder.

After a 'make dest', your files would actually be in
amd64_linux26/dest/, or i386_linux26/dest/ or something similar,
depending on your platform. (Try 'ls -ld */dest' to find what directory
'dest' is in if you can't find it.)

> I also get an error during installation as below:
>
> **************************************
> configure summary
>
> XXX LIB_curses  not found! not building scout and afsmonitor!

This isn't a problem, it just means that some of the tools weren't
built, since they require ncurses. You can install the ncurses headers
and library stuff by installing the package libncurses5-dev (or a
similarly-named package). Or you can 'apt-get build-dep openafs' to get
all of the build dependencies for openafs.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net