[OpenAFS] Re: stackable file system above OpenAFS

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Tue, 23 Sep 2014 10:43:30 -0500

On Fri, 19 Sep 2014 10:09:31 +0200 (CEST)
Erik Braun <erik.braun@uni-jena.de> wrote:

> I still have the problem described here:
>
> https://lists.openafs.org/pipermail/openafs-info/2014-June/040748.html
>
> Since neither AUFS nor OpenAFS change their behaviour (for good reasons,
> no offense intended), I am forced to take action.

Well, OpenAFS hasn't changed behavior because I haven't heard a reason
for AUFS' behavior. I thought they could just lock the inode afterwards
and that would avoid this, while still pretty clearly not introducing
any other issues. That's what would sound most defensive/conservative to
me. As far as I'm aware, neither openafs or aufs have a "good reason"
for the behavior; we haven't been defending the existing behavior from
each other or anything.

As I mention in that linked message, the OpenAFS code maybe doesn't need
to be like that. I could give you a patch that would avoid this issue,
but I'm not sure if it causes any other problems; more time would need
to be spent looking at it to be sure. (Or you can just try it and see
what happens.)

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net