[OpenAFS] OpenAFS still in development?

Daria Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Mon, 22 Jun 2015 10:12:52 -0400

--089e013a08509321ea05191bde20

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 10:09 AM, Ted Creedon <tcreedon@easystreet.net>
wrote:

> EG OSX has a memory leak that requires weekly rebooting (per apple support)

Details? Cuz uh, I'm not rebooting weekly and...

> On Sunday, June 21, 2015, Harald Barth <haba@kth.se> wrote:
>

>> > I do not believe that the OpenAFS mailing lists are an appropriate forum
>> > to discuss AuriStor.  My response to Michael provided details on
>> > AuriStor because I felt it was necessary in order to properly answer the
>> > implied questions.
>>
>> What I've learned so far from AuriStor it looks like it could be a
>> replacement for OpenAFS on the platforms it's available. And it can
>> more as Jeff tells us. If that strategy is good advertising depends
>> on "cultural background".
>>
>> > The question of "supported platforms" is an interesting one because it
>> > is very unclear what it means for OpenAFS to "support" a platform.  What
>> > are the criteria?  Is it sufficient to say that if you can build OpenAFS
>> > on the OS and hardware architecture that it is "supported"?
>>
>> Sorry, "supported" was probably a bad choice of word. But I don't know
>> if "availabe" or "runable" or "it builds it ships" would be better.
>>
>> > I am quite sure there are other criteria that could be added to the mix.
>>
>> I know that you take "supported" very seriously. I would be happy if
>> other software vendors (which are not into file systems) would do that
>> as well.
>>
>> >  * Linux
>> >    . Red Hat Enterprise Linux
>> >      (YFSI is a Red Hat Technology Partner)
>> >    . Fedora
>> >    . Debian
>> >    . Ubuntu
>> >  * Microsoft Windows
>> >  * Apple OSX and iOS
>> >  * Oracle Solaris
>> >  * IBM AIX
>> >  * Android
>> >
>> > Servers are supported everywhere but on Windows, iOS and Android but the
>> > performance varies significantly based upon the OS release, processor
>> > architecture, and underlying hardware so there are combinations that we
>> > recommend and those we do not.
>> >
>> > The failure to list an OS family or Linux distribution does not imply
>> > that YFSI will not support AuriStor on that platform.  It only implies
>> > that there has been insufficient customer interest to this point for
>> > YFSI to expend the necessary resources on development, testing and
>> > certification (where applicable.)
>>
>> Thanks for the list. I guess on "the main HW" which is amd64 for most
>> of the OSes above. Both at work and privately I run OpenAFS on
>> platforms that are not on the list and even in the future will not
>> have much "customer interest".
>>
>> > In the end software development has to be a partnership between those
>> > that build and those that deploy.  If those that deploy do not fund
>> > those that build there will not be sufficient development hours and
>> > talent to build the solutions those that deploy require.
>>
>> I see that this partnership has stopped working in many places. It
> [...]

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 10:09 AM, Ted Creedon <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=
=3D"mailto:tcreedon@easystreet.net" target=3D"_blank">tcreedon@easystreet.n=
in:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">EG OSX has a mem=
ory leak that requires weekly rebooting (per apple support)<div class=3D"HO=
blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px=
 #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div class=3D"HOEnZb"><div class=3D"h5">On Su=
nday, June 21, 2015, Harald Barth &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:haba@kth.se" target=
=3D"_blank">haba@kth.se</a>&gt; wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote"=
 style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><b=
r>
&gt; I do not believe that the OpenAFS mailing lists are an appropriate for=
um<br>
&gt; to discuss AuriStor.=C2=A0 My response to Michael provided details on<=
br>
&gt; AuriStor because I felt it was necessary in order to properly answer t=
he<br>
&gt; implied questions.<br>
What I&#39;ve learned so far from AuriStor it looks like it could be a<br>
replacement for OpenAFS on the platforms it&#39;s available. And it can<br>
more as Jeff tells us. If that strategy is good advertising depends<br>
on &quot;cultural background&quot;.<br>
&gt; The question of &quot;supported platforms&quot; is an interesting one =
because it<br>
&gt; is very unclear what it means for OpenAFS to &quot;support&quot; a pla=
tform.=C2=A0 What<br>
&gt; are the criteria?=C2=A0 Is it sufficient to say that if you can build =
OpenAFS<br>
&gt; on the OS and hardware architecture that it is &quot;supported&quot;?<=
br>
Sorry, &quot;supported&quot; was probably a bad choice of word. But I don&#=
39;t know<br>
if &quot;availabe&quot; or &quot;runable&quot; or &quot;it builds it ships&=
quot; would be better.<br>
&gt; I am quite sure there are other criteria that could be added to the mi=
x.<br>
I know that you take &quot;supported&quot; very seriously. I would be happy=
 if<br>
other software vendors (which are not into file systems) would do that<br>
as well.<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 * Linux<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 . Red Hat Enterprise Linux<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 (YFSI is a Red Hat Technology Partner)<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 . Fedora<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 . Debian<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 . Ubuntu<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 * Microsoft Windows<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 * Apple OSX and iOS<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 * Oracle Solaris<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 * IBM AIX<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 * Android<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Servers are supported everywhere but on Windows, iOS and Android but t=
he<br>
&gt; performance varies significantly based upon the OS release, processor<=
br>
&gt; architecture, and underlying hardware so there are combinations that w=
e<br>
&gt; recommend and those we do not.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; The failure to list an OS family or Linux distribution does not imply<=
br>
&gt; that YFSI will not support AuriStor on that platform.=C2=A0 It only im=
plies<br>
&gt; that there has been insufficient customer interest to this point for<b=
r>
&gt; YFSI to expend the necessary resources on development, testing and<br>
&gt; certification (where applicable.)<br>
Thanks for the list. I guess on &quot;the main HW&quot; which is amd64 for =
most<br>
of the OSes above. Both at work and privately I run OpenAFS on<br>
platforms that are not on the list and even in the future will not<br>
have much &quot;customer interest&quot;.<br>
&gt; In the end software development has to be a partnership between those<=
br>
&gt; that build and those that deploy.=C2=A0 If those that deploy do not fu=
nd<br>
&gt; those that build there will not be sufficient development hours and<br=

&gt; talent to build the solutions those that deploy require.<br>
I see that this partnership has stopped working in many places. It<br>
makes me sad.<br>
&gt; P.S. My apologies for the long reply.<br>
You don&#39;t need to apologise.<br>
Harald.<br>