[OpenAFS] windows client and git

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk@MIT.EDU
Wed, 11 Nov 2015 13:24:38 -0500 (EST)

---559023410-1802922330-1447266278=:26829

On Tue, 10 Nov 2015, Jan Posp=C3=AD=C5=A1il wrote:

> Hello, I am using git with repositories on AFS and I am getting the follo=
wing
> errors
>
> error: unable to open object pack directory: ./objects/pack: Function not
> implemented
>
> when working with the repository on a Windows machine (win10 64bit,
> openafs-client 1.7.3100, git 2.6.2.windows.1). The issue is fully describ=
ed
> here:

1.7.31 is not the latest release; 1.7.33 is out already with some useful
fixes (I don't remember any directly applicable to this issue, though).

> https://github.com/git-for-windows/git/issues/510
>
> One git guy said that it is a problem with OpenAFS on windows and not git=
=2E I
> have to admit that if I work with the repository on AFS filesystem in oth=
er
> OSes (Linux Debian, Mac OSX, ...) they are fully operational without any
> error, so my impression is that the error might be either in git for wind=
ows
> or in openafs-client for windows, or both. Unfortunately I do not know ho=
w to
> debug the problem any further.
>
> Is there someone in the list who could for example try to reproduce the e=
rror?
> Could someone tell me how one could debug the problem in order to detect =
the
> core of the problem?

What operations are you doing that cause the errors?  (Are you running
'git repack' manually, or does git decide that it's time to repack while
doing a commit, or ...?)

Fundamentally, we wnat to know what code-level operation is failing.  A
quick search does not seem to find any universal ways to do so (akin to a
linux ltrace or strace), but perhaps the logger functionality in
WinDbg.exe would suffice.

-Ben
---559023410-1802922330-1447266278=:26829--