[OpenAFS] what is the backup order of the fileserver exploration for a given volset?

Giovanni Bracco giovanni.bracco@enea.it
Sat, 9 Apr 2016 15:41:03 +0200

But vos listvldb provides a list of volumes alphabetically sorted by vol
name!
Even if it makes use of the same routine the output provided forgets
that, I think

Giovanni

On 08/04/16 22:32, Benjamin Kaduk wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Apr 2016, Giovanni Bracco wrote:
>
>> In our AFS cell we have 9 fileservers (openafs 1.6.5 to 1.6.15) distributed
>> over WAN and we use the native openafs backup system, which works well (max
>> size of a volume is 200 GB)
>>
>> We have defined a volset for all the .backup volumes of all fileservers and we
>> have one AFS backup server that performs the backup for all the fileservers,
>> both the local and remote ones.
>>
>> As the backup duration is very different for local fileserver (~60 MB/s) and
>> remote fileservers (~3 MB/s) it would be very nice to know in advance what is
>> the order chosen by the backup  process for a given volset.
>>
>> The experience shows that it is NOT the order in which the fileservers appear
>> in the volset definition.
>>
>> Any suggestion?
>
> Try comparing to the 'vos listvldb' output.  The buserver determines the
> volume list in EvalVolumeSet2(), which calls ubik_VL_ListAttributesN2() to
> assemble the list of volumes in the volume set.  lisvldb should be using
> the same vlserver routine as the buserver.
>
> -Ben

Giovanni Bracco
DTE-ICT-HPC
ENEA
Via E. Fermi 45
I-00044 Frascati (Roma) Italy
phone +39-06-9400-5597  mobile +39-3351992144
FAX   +39-06-9400-5735
E-mail  giovanni.bracco@enea.it
WWW http://www.afs.enea.it/bracco