[OpenAFS] what is the backup order of the fileserver exploration for a given volset?

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk@MIT.EDU
Fri, 8 Apr 2016 16:32:56 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 8 Apr 2016, Giovanni Bracco wrote:

> In our AFS cell we have 9 fileservers (openafs 1.6.5 to 1.6.15) distributed
> over WAN and we use the native openafs backup system, which works well (max
> size of a volume is 200 GB)
>
> We have defined a volset for all the .backup volumes of all fileservers and we
> have one AFS backup server that performs the backup for all the fileservers,
> both the local and remote ones.
>
> As the backup duration is very different for local fileserver (~60 MB/s) and
> remote fileservers (~3 MB/s) it would be very nice to know in advance what is
> the order chosen by the backup  process for a given volset.
>
> The experience shows that it is NOT the order in which the fileservers appear
> in the volset definition.
>
> Any suggestion?

Try comparing to the 'vos listvldb' output.  The buserver determines the
volume list in EvalVolumeSet2(), which calls ubik_VL_ListAttributesN2() to
assemble the list of volumes in the volume set.  lisvldb should be using
the same vlserver routine as the buserver.

-Ben