[OpenAFS] some older openafs-client versions have started failing

Chad William Seys cwseys@physics.wisc.edu
Thu, 14 Jul 2016 17:18:56 -0500

Hi Ben,

The Scientific Linux clients are using patched (by Redhat) 2.6.32 and
the Debian clients are using patched (by Debian) 3.2.78 and 3.16.7 .

Do you suspect that a recent security patch, applied to all three
kernels, could have broken the older AFS clients?

I could certainly test this idea if it appears promising.  I guess I'd
start with the server's kernel though: One data point that argues
against it being the client's kernel is that for the Scientific Linux
box I booted up an machine which had not been updated for a long time
(kernel dated Mar 22, 2016) and compiled openafs 1.6.15 (not functional)
and 1.6.16 (functional).

Chad.