[OpenAFS] Read-only volume issues

Garrison, Christine ecgarris@iu.edu
Mon, 20 Jun 2016 20:10:04 +0000

Hi Jeff,=0A=
=0A=
Does "vos addsite" duplicate a volume's data? Because we are using much mor=
e than half our capacity, and therefore can't afford to double usage. To be=
 blunt, we are trying to make the system read only by stages to encourage u=
sers to migrate off this system as we are trying to retire it at the end of=
 the year.=0A=
=0A=
If mounting the .backup volume isn't a good option, then that more or less =
leaves me with walking the filesystem, parsing and changing ACLs to have no=
 write/insert/delete. This would be irreversible unless I stored the origin=
al ACL states somehow and could re-apply them later if there was a mistake =
or a political reason to restore a volume to be writeable for awhile.=0A=
=0A=
Though, I am open to ideas. It seems awful to ask about how to retire an Op=
enAFS system on this list, however.=0A=
=0A=
> What are the errors?   Obviously, any access that expects write permissio=
n or the ability to obtain a lock is going to fail when the volume isn't wr=
itable.=0A=
=0A=
Well the errors indicate the files can't even be read, despite that not bei=
ng the case (at least, it works fine within OpenAFS and with the sftp and h=
ttp gateways we have sitting on top... just not Samba.=0A=
=0A=
OS X at least says:=0A=
=0A=
"The document =93Document.rtf=94 could not be opened."=0A=
=0A=
...and if I copy to the desktop, it says:=0A=
=0A=
"The Finder can=92t complete the operation because some data in =93Document=
.rtf=94 can=92t be read or written.=0A=
(Error code -36)"=0A=
=0A=
Chris=0A=