[OpenAFS] How old of Linux do you use with OpenAFS?

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk@MIT.EDU
Fri, 6 May 2016 13:14:20 -0400 (EDT)

Hi all,

OpenAFS has generally tried to provide a software that is compatible with
a wide range of new and historical operating systems; it is only recently
(March 2015) that we removed support for Linux 2.4.

The current linux support is all bundled in as "Linux 2.6", since there
has not been a major version boundary with drastic changes since then,
rather, a continual evolution with some changes affecting us in most
releases.  Major versions 3 and 4 were added just because "the numbers
were getting too big", but are still a normal evolution of the code with
ancestry from 2.6.

Because there are not major version conditionals in place (and because
many distributions backport some patches for their kernels but not
others), we instead rely on feature tests at configure time.  Over time,
we accumulate a lot of these tests and the corresponding code
conditionals, which makes the code harder to read and maintain.

I would like to get a sense for what versions of Linux are in use with
OpenAFS today, to give some guidance as to whether it may be appropriate
to increase the minimum supported version of Linux from 2.6.0.

Thanks,

Ben