[OpenAFS] Re: [OpenAFS-devel] How old of Linux do you use with OpenAFS?

Steve Simmons scs@umich.edu
Tue, 10 May 2016 12:51:56 -0400

--001a1139bcf631b1ad05327fbe36

We have a bunch of old linux-from-scratch systems which we're rolling out
the door and aren't going to be getting AFS upgrades. RHEL5 is the
next-oldest, about 15% of dropping fast and we're currently discussing what
to do w/r/t afs on them. Everything else with AFS is pretty recent.

The conversion of our AFS servers to RHEL7/oafs 1.6.17 is under way, with
the first host now being tested.

Steve

On Fri, May 6, 2016 at 1:14 PM, Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> OpenAFS has generally tried to provide a software that is compatible with
> a wide range of new and historical operating systems; it is only recently
> (March 2015) that we removed support for Linux 2.4.
>
> The current linux support is all bundled in as "Linux 2.6", since there
> has not been a major version boundary with drastic changes since then,
> rather, a continual evolution with some changes affecting us in most
> releases.  Major versions 3 and 4 were added just because "the numbers
> were getting too big", but are still a normal evolution of the code with
> ancestry from 2.6.
>
> Because there are not major version conditionals in place (and because
> many distributions backport some patches for their kernels but not
> others), we instead rely on feature tests at configure time.  Over time,
> we accumulate a lot of these tests and the corresponding code
> conditionals, which makes the code harder to read and maintain.
>
> I would like to get a sense for what versions of Linux are in use with
> OpenAFS today, to give some guidance as to whether it may be appropriate
> to increase the minimum supported version of Linux from 2.6.0.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ben

--001a1139bcf631b1ad05327fbe36

lvetica,sans-serif">We have a bunch of old linux-from-scratch systems which=
 we&#39;re rolling out the door and aren&#39;t going to be getting AFS upgr=
ades. RHEL5 is the next-oldest, about 15% of dropping fast and we&#39;re cu=
rrently discussing what to do w/r/t afs on them. Everything else with AFS i=
s pretty recent.</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:ari=
al,helvetica,sans-serif"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"fo=
nt-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif">The conversion of our AFS servers to =
RHEL7/oafs 1.6.17 is under way, with the first host now being tested.</div>=
f"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:arial,helvet=
=3D"gmail_quote">On Fri, May 6, 2016 at 1:14 PM, Benjamin Kaduk <span dir=
=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:kaduk@mit.edu" target=3D"_blank">kaduk@mit.e=
in:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Hi all,<br>
OpenAFS has generally tried to provide a software that is compatible with<b=
r>
a wide range of new and historical operating systems; it is only recently<b=
r>
(March 2015) that we removed support for Linux 2.4.<br>
The current linux support is all bundled in as &quot;Linux 2.6&quot;, since=
 there<br>
has not been a major version boundary with drastic changes since then,<br>
rather, a continual evolution with some changes affecting us in most<br>
releases.=C2=A0 Major versions 3 and 4 were added just because &quot;the nu=
mbers<br>
were getting too big&quot;, but are still a normal evolution of the code wi=
th<br>
ancestry from 2.6.<br>
Because there are not major version conditionals in place (and because<br>
many distributions backport some patches for their kernels but not<br>
others), we instead rely on feature tests at configure time.=C2=A0 Over tim=
e,<br>
we accumulate a lot of these tests and the corresponding code<br>
conditionals, which makes the code harder to read and maintain.<br>
I would like to get a sense for what versions of Linux are in use with<br>
OpenAFS today, to give some guidance as to whether it may be appropriate<br=

to increase the minimum supported version of Linux from 2.6.0.<br>
Thanks,<br>
Ben<br>