[OpenAFS] changing just the name of a database server?

Steve Gaarder gaarder@math.cornell.edu
Wed, 20 Dec 2017 12:08:33 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 20 Dec 2017, Benjamin Kaduk wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 09:19:36AM -0500, Steve Gaarder wrote:
>> I want to change the name of one of my database servers, while keeping the
>> IP address the same.  Besides making the change in the DNS and the
>> machine's hostname, is there anything else I need to do?
>
> You should also notify cellservdb@grand.central.org so that the
> central CellServDB records can be updated.  IIRC, at least windows
> clients use the name after the '#' for address lookups -- it is not
> just a comment field.

Thanks for that info.  Does it matter whether the name is a CNAME or not?
I'm thinking that, to ease the transition, I could make the new name a
CNAME for the existing name, tell grand.central to change the cellservdb,
and later rename the machine.

cheers,

Steve Gaarder
System Administrator, Dept of Mathematics
Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, USA
gaarder@math.cornell.edu