AW: [OpenAFS] Check free space on AFS share before login

Richter, Michael m.richter@tu-berlin.de
Thu, 2 Feb 2017 07:36:12 +0000

This is a good one BEFORE the home drive is full. For this situation I thou=
ght about an interval. Because, if the user logs in and he downloads someth=
ing and then the home share is full, the user will not get any message.

--=20
Michael Richter

Technische Universit=E4t Berlin
Universit=E4tsbibliothek
IT-Service

Fasanenstra=DFe 88, 10623 Berlin
Telefon: +49 (0)30 314-76310
m.richter@tu-berlin.de

www.ub.tu-berlin.de

-----Urspr=FCngliche Nachricht-----
Von: openafs-info-admin@openafs.org [mailto:openafs-info-admin@openafs.org]=
 Im Auftrag von Jonathan Billings
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 1. Februar 2017 15:42
An: openafs-info@openafs.org
Betreff: Re: [OpenAFS] Check free space on AFS share before login

On Wed, Feb 01, 2017 at 01:07:30PM +0100, Stephan Wiesand wrote:
> nice idea... I should probably implement that here. Something like
>=20
> auth required pam_exec.so stdout /bin/check_home_space
>=20
> should work well enough at least with lightdm. Just make the script
> print a short message to stdout and exit 1 in the failure case.=20

You really shouldn't have PAM generate standard output for successful
logins. You will break things like SSH's SFTP.

We do something like this on our RHEL7 workstations, and we have
zenity pop up with a warning when they log in if their home
directory's quota is greater than 95% full.  It runs as an script
launched from a .desktop file in /etc/xdg/autostart/.

For console logins, I'd probably use a script in /etc/profile.d/ that
detected that it was a console login and generate all the output to
stderr, just in case.  But considering that people don't read the MOTD
I doubt they'd read warnings like that.

--=20
Jonathan Billings <jsbillin@umich.edu>