[OpenAFS] OpenAFS Windows build environment

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk@mit.edu
Tue, 14 Feb 2017 23:04:20 -0600

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 03:14:30PM +0200, Kostas Liakakis wrote:
> Hello Ben,
>

> So, where to now? Is there a way to actually test the resulting binaries
> as they are? Try a newer WiX version and see where it bombs? Upload the
> build result somewhere for you to check it?

It may be easiest to test the resulting binaries "in-place", or
perhaps on a separate scratch VM that can be wiped clean easily (as
opposed to the build VM itself, which may require effort to replace,
depending on the state of snapshotting available, etc.).  E.g., on
win7 you can boot into developer mode that does not require any
signatures on the kernel modules at all, which suffices to test
functionality of the build.  Of course, openafs in general is
lacking in automated test coverage, so the first step might just be
manual testing.  (Writing automated testing would be a great second
step!)

I have no interest in trying out the build results myself, so don't
upload them just for my benefit.  (Maybe there are other volunteers,
though?  They should feel free to speak up if there is interest.)

I also have little interest in rewriting the installer with only
email feedback on how things work.  So, trying out the build with a
newer WiX is probably only worth it if you (or someone you know) is
interested in learning WiX and working through the needed changes.
http://wixtoolset.org/documentation/manual/v3/ would probably be the
relevant documentation landing point, alongside reading through some
existing installer XML to see what is used in practice.  (That is
not necessarily the existing openafs installer XML, which as we have
established is essentially unmaintained and unlikely to be a great
example.  I don't have a great sense for how many open-source
projects are using WiX, but maybe one of the Kerberos distributions
would be a useful example.  MIT's installer would be around
https://github.com/krb5/krb5/tree/master/src/windows/installer/wix
... maybe Jeffrey has a link handy to the Heimdal equivalent?)

-Ben