[OpenAFS] OpenAFS 1.8.0 alpha 1 available

Gaja Sophie Peters gaja.peters@math.uni-hamburg.de
Sun, 1 Jan 2017 19:38:51 +0100

Am 01.01.17 um 02:03 schrieb Benjamin Kaduk:

> The release notes are at
> http://openafs.org/dl/openafs/candidate/1.8.0pre1/RELNOTES-1.8.0pre1
> which should be linked from the main http://openafs.org/main.html page
> but may have been missing for a short while at one point.

Thanks - I found them now - guess I was looking at the wrong place.

>> - Next I installed with "dpkg -i" the three packages that are needed for
>> a client-install and courageously rebooted - only to find out that AFS
>> wasn't find my home-dir. (All other directories were working fine,
>> except the one above my homedir and my homedir...)
>
> Do you think there was anything other than your home directory in your
> local cache at the time you installed the new packages?

At the time I installed the packages, most likely. However, I cleaned
the cache multiple times (or even deleted all files in the
cache-directory and restarted) and SSH-Login still won't find my
home-directory - though it finds everything else.

I wonder if this problem is related to the matlab "bug" (a little
off-topic maybe, but who knows) Matlab simply won't start from a
directory with @sys in the path, so one has to specifically go via
amd64_linux26 (or whatever is appropriate). Since it's just "luck",
which path to the final directory the kernel sees first (depending on
what else got called in what order), sometimes Matlab won't even start
from amd64_linux26 because it STILL thinks, it's called from @sys --
whatever the kernel sees first, it remembers and will continue to
remember until a reboot...

This might be a similar case - the kernel (-module?) sees first "there
is no such directory" (because root doesn't have the appropriate token)
and remembers this even after the token is there, and the kernel should
check again.

Greetings,
Gaja Peters