[OpenAFS] Re: RHEL 7.5 beta / 3.10.0-830.el7.x86_66 kernel lock up

Stephan Wiesand stephan.wiesand@desy.de
Fri, 2 Feb 2018 22:36:00 +0100

While additional data points are obviously most welcome, there is no =
expectation that this issue is fixed with 1.6.22.x or 1.8.x right now. =
Some serious work will be required to adapt OpenAFS to the changes in =
this kernel (series), though there's some hope that it won't be quite as =
hard to fix as the 7.4 getcwd issue.

- Stephan

> On 02.Feb 2018, at 22:20, Kodiak Firesmith <kfiresmith@gmail.com> =
wrote:
>=20
> Not much else to report today other than expanding my test base out to =
a few more RHEL 7.5b hosts, and re-rolled the 1.6.22.1-1 SRPM again, and =
am still seeing the same results universally.  Every host fails to boot =
due to a kernel panic when it tries to load the openafs DKMS kernel =
module.
>=20
> My next move on Monday will be to try an actual kernel-specific kmod =
instead of DKMS.  If that works I'll be kind of sad since we've had =
great luck with DKMS until now.
<kfiresmith@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just rebuilt off-the-shelf RPMs based off of =
http://www.openafs.org/dl/openafs/1.6.22.1/openafs-1.6.22.1-1.src.rpm =
thinking maybe we had some historical patch in our build area that might =
be causing the problem, but alas, even the off-the-shelf RPMs cause a =
full wedge and reboot when openafs-client.service starts up. =20
<kfiresmith@gmail.com <mailto:kfiresmith@gmail.com>> wrote:
>=20
>     Folks, re-sending this because the first try never hit the list - =
perhaps
>     mail with attachments are silently dropped or held for manual =
moderation?     I'd originally attached an image of the stack trace.  =
I'll host it and reply
>     to this with a  URL link in case that would also result in a drop =
or moderation.
>=20
>=20
>=20
>     Anyhow:
>=20
>     In testing the new RHEL 7.5 beta, we've discovered that hosts =
using AFS fail
>     to boot after the upgrade, with Openafs 1.6.22.1 installed.
>=20
>     We are wondering if some of the non-guaranteed kernel ABIs that =
OpenAFS uses