[OpenAFS] connection timed out, how long is the timeout?

Jose M Calhariz jose.calhariz@tecnico.ulisboa.pt
Sun, 4 Feb 2018 19:55:20 +0000

On Sun, Feb 04, 2018 at 01:27:07PM -0600, Benjamin Kaduk wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 04, 2018 at 12:29:30PM +0000, Jose M Calhariz wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am chasing the root problem in my infra-structure of afsdb and
> > afs-fileservers.  Sometimes my afsdb loses quorum in the middle of a
>
> It is a pretty disruptive event to lose quorum; do you have any idea
> what might be responsible for that happening?

In recent times I have seen two times a "vos release" of a critical
volume to fail.  I may have wrongly interpreted the error message.  So
I past it here the last one:

Could not release lock on the VLDB entry for volume XXXXXXXXXXX
u: major synchronization error
Error in vos release command.
u: major synchronization error

> > vos operation or the Linux clients time out talking to the
> > file servers.  To help diagnose the problem I would like to know how
> > long is the timeout and if I can change the time out connections in
> > the Debian clients and for the vos operations.  My plan is to increase and
>
> The ubik election to determine quorum happens every SMALLTIME (60)
> seconds, but normally the current coordinator will retain that role
> and operations can span multiple election cycles.
>
> Most of the timeouts involved (e.g., RX_IDLE_DEAD_TIME and
> AFS_RXDEADTIME) are also on the order of a minute.
>
> I think you'd need to recompile in order to adjust these timeouts,
> though.  And I really would recommend tracking down why you're
> losing quorum before trying to paper over things with longer
> timeouts.

I am too chasing a second problem where a Debian OpenAFS client fail
to comunicate with the fileserver and this problem is frequent.  May I
think that this timeout is about 60 seconds?  And that I need to
recompile the client to increase or decrease the timeout?