[OpenAFS] afs backup solutions ?

Gary Gatling gsgatlin@ncsu.edu
Tue, 1 May 2018 15:34:24 -0400

--000000000000d3817b056b2a0e2a

Hello,

Recently we had an issue with our backup solution, a system called
Teradactyl.

We had a situation and I am told that the problem is that the central
computing group's tape robots or VTL's are old and highly unreliable and
there won't be any monies to get new tape system for at least 6 months.

We used to use netbackup in our college but it only worked on Solaris and
we have moved off that boat a long time ago. :)

So... we have a backup solution we are working on with some windows file
servers to back them up to AWS Glacier.  https://aws.amazon.com/glacier/

I was wondering if it might be possible to use some kind of open source
software to handle openafs file server backups and restores ? Something
such as amanda ?  http://www.amanda.org/ Could that be made to backup
to AWS Glacier with vos dump or something?

We think it would be bad to just have unreliable backups for 6 months even
though we are paying for a Teradactyl license.

Thanks for any ideas anyone has...

--000000000000d3817b056b2a0e2a

had a situation and I am told that the problem is that the central computin=
g group&#39;s tape robots or VTL&#39;s are old and highly unreliable and th=
ere won&#39;t be any monies to get new tape system for at least 6 months.</=
 worked on Solaris and we have moved off that boat a long time ago. :)</div=
 some windows file servers to back them up to AWS Glacier.=C2=A0 <a href=3D=
"https://aws.amazon.com/glacier/">https://aws.amazon.com/glacier/</a></div>=
d of open source software to handle openafs file server backups and restore=
s ? Something such as amanda ?=C2=A0 <a href=3D"http://www.amanda.org/">htt=
p://www.amanda.org/</a> Could that be made to backup to=C2=A0AWS Glacier wi=