[OpenAFS] afs backup solutions ?

Jose M Calhariz jose.calhariz@tecnico.ulisboa.pt
Wed, 2 May 2018 12:17:06 +0100

Hi

On Tue, May 01, 2018 at 03:34:24PM -0400, Gary Gatling wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Recently we had an issue with our backup solution, a system called
> Teradactyl.
>
> We had a situation and I am told that the problem is that the central
> computing group's tape robots or VTL's are old and highly unreliable and
> there won't be any monies to get new tape system for at least 6 months.
>
> We used to use netbackup in our college but it only worked on Solaris and
> we have moved off that boat a long time ago. :)
>
> So... we have a backup solution we are working on with some windows file
> servers to back them up to AWS Glacier.  https://aws.amazon.com/glacier/
>
> I was wondering if it might be possible to use some kind of open source
> software to handle openafs file server backups and restores ? Something
> such as amanda ?  http://www.amanda.org/ Could that be made to backup
> to AWS Glacier with vos dump or something?

I have several instalations of amanda.  One of them does backups of
afs using tar, not vos dump.  It have worked for several years now and
is good for its main purpose, recovering individual files that users
delete.  I know there is somewhere a patch for amanda to backup
natively afs, but I do not know if is still usable.

In other instalations of amanda it does backups to S3 in amazon or a
local ceph.

> We think it would be bad to just have unreliable backups for 6 months even
> though we are paying for a Teradactyl license.
>
> Thanks for any ideas anyone has...

Kind regards
Jose M Calhariz

Os brasileiros não nasceram devedores e não serão sempre devedores. Não têm vocação para devedores

--François Mitterrand