[OpenAFS] Return of the getcwd bug?

Neil Brown neilb+afs@inf.ed.ac.uk
Fri, 2 Nov 2018 11:55:42 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 11 Oct 2018, Neil Brown wrote:

> Today I've been bitten twice by what appears to be the getcwd bug. I've not
> had this problem in a long time. I thought that had been resolved? Is anyone
> else seeing this?
>
> This was on both a 1.8.2 and a 1.8.0 client. My home volume is on a 1.6.23
> server.

A follow up to my original post. My home volume is now on a 1.8.2 to match
the client, I didn't expect it to make a difference, it hasn't. This
morning (having rebooted to clear the last occurance on Monday), getcwd
problems have returned. Same issues as before, but I've just noticed this.

neilb@jingz(~)> pwd
/afs/inf.ed.ac.uk/user/n/neilb
neilb@jingz(~)> ls -l /proc/self/cwd
lrwxrwxrwx 1 neilb people 0 Nov  2 11:50 /proc/self/cwd -> /afs/inf.ed.ac.uk/user/n/neilb (deleted)

(note the "deleted) but if I cd down one level in my home dir:

neilb@jingz(tmp)> ls -l /proc/self/cwd
lrwxrwxrwx 1 neilb people 0 Nov  2 11:49 /proc/self/cwd -> /afs/inf.ed.ac.uk/user/n/neilb/tmp/

If it really is just us that's seeing this. I wonder if it may be related
to our use of automount (autofs). We use automount for various mappings,
but one is to map /autofs/nethome/USERNAME -> to the corresponding /afs/
path and /home/ is a symlink to /autofs/nethome/. When the bug strikes
then I can't access /home/neilb or /autofs/nethome/neilb

neilb@jingz(~)> ls /autofs/nethome/neilb
ls: cannot access /autofs/nethome/neilb: No such file or directory

I have references to /home/neilb in various dot files. I'm going to remove
those and see if things improve.

Neil
--
  Neil Brown - Computing Officer - Appleton Tower 7.12a | Neil.Brown @ ed. ac.uk
  School of Informatics, University of Edinburgh        | Tel: +44 131 6504422

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.