[OpenAFS] Building 1.8.2 with transarc-paths

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk@mit.edu
Sat, 10 Nov 2018 08:25:01 -0600

On Thu, Nov 08, 2018 at 04:27:09PM -0500, Michael Meffie wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Nov 2018 21:41:06 -0500
> "Prasad K. Dharmasena" <pkd@umd.edu> wrote:
>
> > I've been building 1.6.x on Ubuntu 16.04 with the following options and it
> > has worked well for me.
> >
> >         --enable-transarc-paths
> >         --prefix=/usr/afsws
> >         --enable-supergroups
> >
> > Building 1.8.x on the same OS with the same option has a problem that
> > appears to be an rpath issue.
> >
> > ldd /usr/vice/etc/afsd | grep not
> > libafshcrypto.so.2 => not found
> > librokenafs.so.2 => not found
> >
> > Those libraries are installed in /usr/afsws/lib, so I can get the client to
> > run if I set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  Any hints to what I need to tweak in
> > 'configure' to make it build properly?
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> Hello Prasad,
>
> OpenAFS 1.8.x introduced those two shared object libraries. When not installing
> from packages you'll need to run ldconfig or set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Since
> you've copied the files to /usr/afsws/lib, you can create a ldconfig configuration
> file to let it know where to find them. For example,
>
>     $ cat /etc/ld.so.conf.d/openafs.conf
>     /usr/afsws/lib
>
> or perphaps better, install them to a standard location recognized by ldconfig.

I might also ask why you are using the transarc paths at all -- wouldn't it
be easier to conform to the de facto standard filesystem hierarchy with the
default openafs configuration?

(There's also the option of passing --enable-static --disable-shared to
configure, though I don't remember exactly what that ends up doing.)

Thanks,
Ben