[OpenAFS] AFS fails to build on FreeBSD

Måns Nilsson mansaxel@besserwisser.org
Tue, 2 Apr 2019 00:06:35 +0200

--llIrKcgUOe3dCx0c

Subject: Re: [OpenAFS] AFS fails to build on FreeBSD Date: Wed, Mar 27, 201=
9 at 04:52:29PM +0100 Quoting Andreas Ladanyi (andreas.ladanyi@kit.edu):
> Hi,

ven't tried 1.6.x), it's necessary to create that file based on the FreeBSD=
 11.1 version and add a systype for 11.2 into some other file(s) (a grep fo=
r fbsd should help).  It was actually pretty straightforward and it seems s=
table (at least the client; I haven't tried the server).
> > For FreeBSD 11.2:
> >
> > 1.8.2 compiles with the patch
> >
> > 1.6.x doesnt compile with the patch, i will have a look later
>=20
> make fails with the error message:
>=20
> error: unknown type name 'afs_uint32'
>=20
> I could see=C2=A0 afs_uint32 is declared as typedef in include/afs/stds.h

I'm not surprised; the amount of history expressed in patches that I
had to remove from the FreeBSD port to get 1.8.2 to compile in that
environment speaks volumes about the increased portability of the
source code.  Two conclusions can IMNSHO be made from this:

1. It is not reasonable to expect 1.6 to compile cleanly on
FreeBSD. Perhaps a gentle update of the port metadata (file names,
checksums, URLen to source code) could be a easier way to get newer=20
1.6 code to build.

2. The 1.8 series is so much better!  I honestly believe that effort
spent on 1.8 compiles is much more beneficial to all involved.

But, I could be wrong. I'd switch positions in an instant if a good reason
to do so is presented.=20

	"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well,
	 I have others."
			Grouch Marx. =20

--=20
M=C3=A5ns Nilsson     primary/secondary/besserwisser/machina
MN-1334-RIPE           SA0XLR            +46 705 989668
I brought my BOWLING BALL -- and some DRUGS!!

--llIrKcgUOe3dCx0c

--llIrKcgUOe3dCx0c--