[OpenAFS] AFS 1.8.2 , bus error on FreeBSD

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk@mit.edu
Fri, 5 Apr 2019 21:33:27 -0500

On Fri, Apr 05, 2019 at 08:39:23AM +0200, Andreas Ladanyi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i compiled afs 1.8.2 on freebsd 11.2. When i want to execute bos command
> it shows me a "Bus Error".  If i understand the problem correctly the
> problem is that bos wants to access memory which CPU physically cant access.
>
> Do i have to set some flags at configure time, before make ?

The LWP code ends up with a misaligned stack for the green thread and it's
kind of messy to track down a fix that works on all OS versions and with
all compilers.

The ports collection makefile adds -mstackrealign for clang, to work around
this issue.  The hope is that for OpenAFS 2.0 we'll have LWP entirely gone
and not need to worry about this any more...

-Ben