[OpenAFS] Performance issues with Git repositories (or in general with many small files workloads)

Ciprian Dorin Craciun ciprian.craciun@gmail.com
Thu, 17 Dec 2020 01:54:00 +0200

On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 1:51 AM Douglas E Engert <deengert@gmail.com> wrote:
> If you are just backing up, consider "git bundle" that creates one file,
> and git clone can read the bundle.
>
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/5578270/fully-backup-a-git-repo

Thank you for the suggestion.

I know about `git-bundle` however I don't want only a backup, but in
case I need also a "working" git repository, thus my option for `git
push --mirror`.

But indeed, if one only wants to backup a Git repository, then `git
bundle` is the best option as it results in only one file, which
OpenAFS handles flawlessly.

However on the downside of bundle, there is no support for incremental
backups;  i.e. each new backup will be a full dump.

Ciprian.