[OpenAFS] Re: Performance issues with Git repositories (or in general with many small files workloads)

Ciprian Dorin Craciun ciprian.craciun@gmail.com
Thu, 17 Dec 2020 11:47:14 +0200

On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 11:44 AM <spacefrogg-openafs@spacefrogg.net> wrote:
> 1. You could use git repack to transfer less files without losing the ability of incremental updates.

For some reason Git (on the receiving side) although it receives a
pack, it unpacks it.

However my question also relates to other use-cases where one has to
handle large number of files.  (Git was just the latest use-case I
faced these days where the performance issue poped-up.)

> 2. You could turn off sync-after-close in the cache manager, see fs storebehind. This should increase upfront performance but may degrade again, should your cache run out of file handles. So, you'd have to play with cache parameters, as well.

I've already set storebehind to 16 MiB, which is well above the
average size of a Git object.

Moreover I've even tried to use `-sync never` to the fileserver and
these didn't make much difference.

Thanks,
Ciprian.