[OpenAFS] error in compiling openafs 1.6.24 on CentOS 8.3

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk@mit.edu
Thu, 13 May 2021 19:36:08 -0700

On Mon, May 10, 2021 at 12:53:17PM +0200, Giovanni Bracco wrote:
> Thank you Jeff, useful information as always!
>
> For our production cell we must decide if upgrade all the cell to 1.8.x
> (a lot of  work to be doneo but we have to schedulee that now or then)
> or remain with CentOS 7.x also for the most recent fileservers.
>
> I do not think the option of the "unreleased openafs-stable-1_6_x
> branch." is a good choice for the production environment.

For completeness, I'll note that you do have the option of taking the
1.6.24 release and applying targeted patches to it to get the newer version
support (e.g.,
https://github.com/openafs/openafs/commit/fbf1ed1a0870d67b2ea80cf9bc00c5b7b6f7fbec
for the <rpc/types.h> issue).  But there are many reasons why that would
not be an attractive approach, either, including the risk of running into a
situation where the requisite patches are only available for the 1.8.x
branch and do not trivially apply to the 1.6.x branch.

If you have questions about the different options or the upgrading
procedure, we can try to help on the list.

-Ben