[OpenAFS-win32-devel] AFS Server on Windows now works - please test new builds

Jeffrey Altman jaltman@columbia.edu
Fri, 02 Apr 2004 10:50:02 -0500

Douglas E. Engert wrote:

>I read somewhere that in 2003 the Microsoft max ticket size was increased from
>8000 to 12000 bytes. You may wish to consider this too.
>
>As a side note, Microsoft has been promissing a mod for AD 2003 to be able
>to issue service tickets without a PAC. We even tested it. But it is still
>not packaged as a hotfix I have been asking for this since August.
>(I will bug them again.)   Your above change makes this mod less critical,
>at least for AFS.

Such a fix is really meaningless unless MS agrees to back
port it to Windows 2000.  Upgrading from 2000 to 2003
is not something a majority of sites will be willing to
do.  The effort is too great.  Sites running 2000 will
more than likely wait for the next major Server OS
release to make a decision.

>>    * When obtaining AFS Tokens via KFW, krb524 is no longer required.
>>      Instead the raw Kerberos 5 ticket is used in its entirety.  This
>>      is extremely important as it allows us to use pure Kerberos 5 KDCs
>>      as the source of the AFS authentication.  The use of 4096 byte long
>>      tickets will allow tickets produced by all versions of Microsoft
>>      Active Directory to be used.
>>
>>        create a user account.
>>        designate it DES only
>>        disable pre-auth
>>        specify its UPN to be  "afs@realm"
>>        assign a SPN of "afs/cellname" to the UPN with setspn.exe
>>
>>    *
>>

>Working on msklog yesterday, which almost does the same thing as above, I think
>I found a bug in openafs src/rxkad/ticket5.c  This is used on the
>AFS servers. In the krb5_des_decrypt routine, the variable ret is not initilized.
>If the etype is not ETYPE_DES_CBC_CRC, no cksum_fun is set,
>so ret is never set. ret is then used as the return code which may be garbage.
>
>This means that a des-cbc-md5 ticket may be rejected.
>I am still looking at this.

Although I certainly can examine this issue, this list is
not the appropriate place for this report.  Please file
bug reports to openafs-bugs@openafs.org so they may be
tracked in RT and not be forgotten.

Thanks.