[OpenAFS-win32-devel] Status Report

Jeffrey Altman jaltman@columbia.edu
Tue, 13 Apr 2004 00:13:24 -0400

As of today (2004-04-12), the daily builds include the following new
functionality compared to 1.3.63:

* many uninitialized variables have been detected via the use of run
time checks in the
   debug builds.  those reported have been fixed.

* afscreds.exe now supports the ability to obtain tokens via Kerberos
cross realm authentication:
   For example:
        cell:      dementia.org
        user:      jaltman@ATHENA.MIT.EDU
        password:  xxxxxxxx
     Will obtain a cross realm ticket for
jaltman/DEMENTIA.ORG@ATHENA.MIT.EDU
     will will in turn be used to obtain afs@DEMENTIA.ORG.

 * aklog.exe has been added to the client  (This is a contribution from
MIT.  In fact it is
    the version which has been shipping with KFW 2.5 and later except
that it has been
    modified to build and link directly against the OpenAFS source tree.)

   Usage: aklog [-d] [[-cell | -c] cell [-k krb_realm]]
                [[-p | -path] pathname]
                [-noprdb] [-force]
                [-5 | -4]

      -d gives debugging information.
      krb_realm is the kerberos realm of a cell.
      pathname is the name of a directory to which you wish to authenticate.
      -noprdb means don't try to determine AFS ID.
      -5 or -4 selects whether to use Kerberos V or Kerberos IV.
         (default is Kerberos V)
      No commandline arguments means authenticate to the local cell.

I also want to notify the community that thanks to Rodney Dyer's
persistence it has
been discovered that there is a serious thread safety issue in the
Windows use of the RX
library which appears to be most frequently triggered when multiple read
operations are
performed simultaneous when crypt mode is turned on.  I have added this
problem to the
list of things which must be fixed before a 1.4 release.  However, after
spending more than
a day looking at this I still have not found the specific cause of the
problem.

As always daily builds are available at
/afs/athena.mit.edu/user/j/a/jaltman/Public/OpenAFS
or http://web.mit.edu/~jaltman/Public/OpenAFS/

Jeffrey Altman