[OpenAFS-win32-devel] NIS/MSI Documentation

Asanka Herath asanka@MIT.EDU
Sun, 22 Aug 2004 08:47:28 -0400

> OK, so I've included the NIS screens in the Quick Start
> Guide. It's a bit messy, and I should really get around
> converting this from Wiki to XML...

Cool.

> The NIS and MSI screens look very different, and two things stand
> out:
>
>  1) Does the MSI have a CellServDB pick dialog? I haven't seen any.
>     The NIS do. That seems deprecated to me...

There is no CellServDB pick dialog for the MSI. It deals with the CellServDB
as follows:
  - If there is an existing CellServDB file in the client (by default
%PROGRAMFILES%\OpenAFS\Client) directory, that will be left as is.
  - If there is an afsdcell.ini in the Windows directory (%WINDIR%), that
will be moved to the client directory as CellServDB.
  - Install the packaged CellServDB.

>  2) Labels for the same thing are different. ("Quiet" vs. "Quiet
>     mode", etc.) And I think it merely confuses the reader of the
>     docs. The NIS labels seems a better choice.

Hmm.  I can fix that.

Also,

 3) During uninstallation, the NSIS installer asks whether to preserve
configuration information or not.  The MSI has no such option and always
preserves configuration option.

By the way, good work on the documentation!

-- Asanka