[OpenAFS-win32-devel] Queries to understand OpenAFS as a Remote File System

Bharat Kulkarni bharat.pict@gmail.com
Wed, 6 Jun 2007 16:49:38 +0530

------=_Part_24951_25158682.1181128778923

Hi,

Thanks for your reply,

I was going through the OpenAFS code, but I am unable to figure out where
exactly in the code ( which function of )  OpenAFS is receiving SMB packets
from the CIFS client.?

Is OpenAFS listening on any port ??  relatively I was unable to locate any
listening on ports like 138 or 139.

Can you kindly help me with these queries.

Thanks and Regards,
Bharat.

On 6/4/07, Jeffrey Altman <jaltman@secure-endpoints.com> wrote:

> OpenAFS is a user mode service that registers its own NetBIOS name.
> It is not a kernel service and is not a Windows remote file system.
> The CIFS client talks to OpenAFS exactly the same way it talks to a
> Windows file share or Samba server.
>
> Jeffrey Altman
> Secure Endpoints Inc.
>
> Bharat Kulkarni wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Thanks a lot your responses.
> >
> > I have some further queries,
> >
> > Can you kindly tell me, how does the Windows CIFS client using SMB, talk
> > to OpenAFS? Have you registered any DLL or is the entry put in the
> > registry. How does OpenAFS accept the SMB packets from Windows and carry
> > on further tasks. What role does NetBios play?
> >
> > Does MPR.DLL and MUP.sys come into the picture to make OpenAFS work as a
> > n/w redirector when operations are carried out on the drive mapped? As
> > per Vista WDK Docs, MUP.sys is now used even when a mapped drive (Not
> > local) is accessed.. Have you also made OpenAFS changes to work
> > according to Vista guidelines?
> >
> > I also have a query regarding the way in which command prompt executes a
> > request as compared to windows explorer. What i mean is, does it follow
> > the same path when we access OpenAFS drive using explorer and when we
> > access the drive from command prompt? Is it the code path for both ways
> > of accessing the drive? Does MUP.sys play any role in this? Are you
> > registering OpenAFS with MUP.sys to work as per the Vista Docs?
> >
> > Can you also kindly guide me as to how I can further understand the
> > working of OpenAFS in terms of the SMB protocol, and communication
> > between OpenAFS and windows
> >
> > Thanks and Regards,
> > Bharat.

------=_Part_24951_25158682.1181128778923

On 6/4/07, <b class="gmail_sendername">Jeffrey Altman</b> &lt;<a href="mailto:jaltman@secure-endpoints.com">jaltman@secure-endpoints.com</a>&gt; wrote:</span><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
&gt; Does MPR.DLL and MUP.sys come into the picture to make OpenAFS work as a<br>&gt; n/w redirector when operations are carried out on the drive mapped? As<br>&gt; per Vista WDK Docs, MUP.sys is now used even when a mapped drive (Not

------=_Part_24951_25158682.1181128778923--