[OpenAFS-win32-devel] Windows Non-Interactive Logons (aka Scheduled Tasks) and AFS

Wed, 28 Mar 2007 22:26:19 -0400

Rodney M. Dyer wrote:
> Hmm, my only comment is that when when I'm logged on as a normal
> unprivileged user and the "runas" command is used to start a console for
> the admin such as...
>
>      runas /noprofile /user:%computername%\administrator cmd.exe
>
> ...the krbcc32s.exe process continues to remain running even after the
> console is exited.  Over time, this will build up many krbcc32s.exe
> processes.  I must kill the krbcc32s.exe process before I exit the runas
> console which is annoying.
>
> I assume this is the phenomenon (or a similar one) that you are
> referring to.

Related but that's a KFW issue not an OpenAFS one.

> I just assumed that krbcc32s.exe didn't have a built in feature to
> monitor its parent process and die when the parent died.

Its not supposed to monitor the parent process.  If it did when you

  kinit

the credential server would start, the credentials would be obtained,
kinit would exit and so would the credential server.

The credential server listens for the logoff event to tell it when to
terminate.  However, there is no logoff in your scenario.  if you want
to shut down the credential server type

  krbcc32s -k

from within your cmd.exe.

Jeffrey Altman