[OpenAFS-win32-devel] MMC project update

Brant Gurganus brant@gurganus.name
Fri, 26 Jun 2009 21:04:08 -0400

I made a new snapshot of my project available at
\\afs\rose-hulman.edu%user.class07.gurganbl\Public\"OpenAFS Client
Manager"

It should be rather complete as far as the user interface, though
what's there is based on what was in the prototypes. If there's any
feedback on what is is missing or should be changed, let me know now
before too much gets hooked to actually doing something.

To build: Use Visual Studio and build either x64 or x86 configurations.

To install, run the x86 or x64 installutil on the built assembly.

To uninstall, run the x86 or x64 installutil with the /u switch on the
built assembly.

To use, launch MMC and add the OpenAFS snapin.

Here's what should work:
All the UI should be visible if you expand the MMC enough.
Starting and stopping the AFS Client service should work.

Here's what I need help with:
I haven't figured out how to get the Windows Forms control to fill the
space it has in the console.
Starting and stopping the service outside of the MMC will result in an
exception since you are starting an already running service or
stopping and already stopped service. If there are thoughts on how to
best handle such exceptional states, I'm welcome to them.

What I've written is known to work in 32-bit and 64-bit environments
on Windows 7 RC.

It should work on Windows XP and up. You will need .Net 2.0 or higher
installed as well as MMC 3.0 if on Windows XP or 2003. You can get it
at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907265

Please let me know if you have any feedback both as a user or as a developer.

One other note, the project is set up to strongly name the assemblies
built using my key. You don't have my password so you can create your
own key with the sn tool or just not give your assembly a strong name.
An alternative is to delay sign the assembly, but you'll have to tell
.Net to ignore verifying the assembly's signature.

Brant Gurganus
http://gurganus.name/brant