[OpenAFS-win32-devel] MMC project update

Christopher D. Clausen cclausen@acm.org
Sat, 27 Jun 2009 13:58:12 -0500

On XP/Windows 2003 apparently one needs to run mmcperf.exe before trying
to register new snap-ins.  Otherwise I get an exception running
installutil.

Also, none of the various fields are filled in when I run this.  It is
just empty boxes.  (Perhaps this is all that should be there at this
point in time.)

To me, the Canel button makes no sense at all in the context of an MMC
snap-in.  In fact having both "Ok" and "apply" are redundant.  Only one
of them should be needed as the usual occurance of "Ok" is to do the
same as the "apply" button and then close the dialog as well.  I would
think that the snap-in isn't closed unless the user exits it, so having
only an "apply" button makes the most sense to me.  One can simply click
on another snap-in without clicking apply to undo changes without
applying them.

I'd say to not have the tabs across the right pane and instead have a
drop-down sub menu under the left pane for each of the current tabs.
This would be more inline with other snap-ins from Microsoft and should
in theory allow an agency using AFS to setup specific consoles that only
allow specific features to specific admins / help desk users.  E.g. one
could setup an MMC view to only display the ability to start and stop
the service.

I'd also suggest using an AFS directory name without spaces in it so
that is easier for the rest of us to get to the code.

<<CDC